SEO - Search Engine Optimisation
Search engine optimisation or SEO is the process of improving a web page(s) position in the search engines (typpically Google) through the process of 'on-page' and 'off-page' tasks. The goals of SEO are to drive targeted, quality visitors to the website through improved search engine rankings on your designated keywords and search terms.
The benefits of top Google rankings
If your company website is listed at the top of page 1 in Google (for example) for a relevant search term (called keywords) you will receive high quality traffic to your website, resulting in more sales and/or leads. What's equally important is that this traffic is free and achieving such search engine ranking positions means that pay per click campaigns (PPC) to get equal exposure, costing significant amounts of money, can be reduced and even cancelled.
Factors which will determine search engine ranking positions (SERP's) include:-
- The age of the domain name (URL)
- The keywords you are targeting
- The competition and their activity
- The 'on-page' seo rating of the webpage(s)
- The 'off-page' rating of the webpage(s)
- Previous SEO practices employed on and off-page for your website
- The industry niche.
- The websites current success and exposure
Many of the tasks involved in the SEO process can begin at any point in your websites life. Prior to registering your domain name, you could be thinking about the benefits a keyword led domain name would have to your search engine exposure, especially in a very competitive industry i.e. www.classic-cars.co.uk (rather than www.jones-and-son.co.uk)
The 6 stages of SEO
The process of optimising your webpage(s) can be broken down into 6 stages, which are:-
- Client consultation
- Keyword research
- Review of your website and recommendations
- Strategy development
- Organic white hat link building
- Monitoring, review, further recommendations and strategy edits